Monday, May 18, 2009

Update

Alright... so here is what we know so far. I am just going to post it on here, since I don't know who all wants to know. Lucy had her appointment down at Primary Children's Hospital this morning. After waiting an hour in the waiting room we finally got in. We saw 3 different Doctors. And when all 3 were in there at the same time, i knew it must be serious. Dr Stotts was the Pediatric Orthopedic and he was the one we went there to see. After many questions and observing, they made some speculations. The main thing that we talked about was Rhuemitoid Arthritis (spelling). until now I never thought that kids, especially babies could even get Arthritis. But i guess it happens. It's not too common, but it happens. He said that if that is what is going on, it could come and go through out her life. Tyler and I had researched this online before the apt. and it basically says that all there is to do about it is medication to control the inflamed areas, and physical therapy. So we don't know FOR SURE that this is what it is, but they did do some blood tests. My poor baby. She was just not having that. She screamed and flailed her arms and legs everywhere. It took two nurses and Tyler and I to hold her steady. They couldn't find a vain so they had to turn out the lights and shine a flashlight through her hand to find one. I think this whole process was harder on me, the Mom, than anyone. It took all my strength to not break down and just cry. But I held it in. It is so hard, but i know that lucy needs us to be strong. So we will find out what the blood tests show sometime tomorrow. That is what I know for now, I will write again when i know more. Thank you for the thoughts and Prayers. We love you all.
PS... pictures from last week will be coming. As soon as Mom sends them to me ;-)

5 comments:

Tif said...

Poor girl having to have blood drawn :(

My mom has RA and medications-even the heavy duty IV ones or weekly shots-did nothing for her. She started some natural supplement stuff that has made her actually able to walk and not be in a wheelchair. But to possibly have it from such a young age-poor Lucy.

On the braces-yeah, I definitely know that bracing won't fix the problems, as far as eradicating them. But for many kids they provide the right helps and supports for them to be more easily mobile-that's what our goal is with Scharae, to provide an artificial arch and ankle support for her. Her feet are very manipulative so they'll fit into a corrected positioning of the brace. But shoes alone don't provide the support her feet seem to need.

But yeah, I would tend to agree that where she's not walking yet, there are only a very few real valid reasons for bracing before weightbearing.

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Poor little Lucy! That makes me sad!! :(

M. Harrison said...

Hang in there guys...I'm just glad that you went up to Primary's. Give Lucy a hug for us. It has got to be one of the hardest things as a mom - to see your child go through pain and not be able to relieve it. I love you guys and hope you get more answers today. Love ya

Woodrich Family said...

We're sending our love and prayers! Thank goodness for knowledgeable doctors that can help us get to the bottom of things. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I know you told me the other week that you felt she was suffering from arthritis(I can't spell, hopefully that's right). And to have the doctors confirm that is hard, but I'm sure the spirit prepared you for the news before they hit you with it. Mommy's know best! Sounds like you're being a strong pioneer of a woman. May God bless you, especially as you hear the rest of the news.
www.malmbergs.shutterfly.com