Friday, October 7, 2011

Diabetic

Here is what I know, I have gestational diabetes. It isn't because I am fat, it isn't because I eat wrong. It is because my body has for some reason decided that it doesn't want to process sugar the way it is suppose to. Granted, I am heavier than I use to be, but I am not fat. I know that this was a good thing that I decided to do the test and find all of this out. I need to do what is best for my baby. And if that means changing the way I live and eat, then I will do it. Hopefully this will form a habit in me and I will continue after he is Born to prevent me from getting diabetes in the future. It runs in both sides of my family, so it may be inevitable, but maybe I can prolong it.

GD includes testing my blood sugar 4 times a day, once before I eat in the morning, and 2 hours after every meal, I may be morbid, but I actually think this part is kinda cool. Once I got over the fear of the needle poking my finger, I kinda like being able to see my numbers, and what foods my body reacts to.

And the obvious, limit my sugars and spread them out during the day. Basically the rule of thumb is that I can have 45 carbs a meal, and 15 carbs for snacks. My dietician said to basically fill up on veggies and protein. No soda, no juice, mostly milk and water, but only like a cup of milk at a time, which will be hard for me because when I am pregnant I LOVE milk. But it will be ok. And keep up with my exercising. They also have me taking 500mg of metformin a day to help my body process the sugar the right way so the baby can get the right amount, and I can too.

The good? Well I am now educated and can better take care of my body and be more aware of what I am putting in my body, and what is good for my body. Plus! We get to see baby every dr visit from now until the baby is born, so they can monitor his growth. I have missed this because we got to see Lucy all the time with her condition, so I am excited to be able to see this little guy again, once is just not enough! Lol.

So we will be ok, it's a blessing that I have good doctors and good people in my life who are smart enough to tell me when I am being dumb.
So anyone with awesome yummy recipes, please share, because I need to start making good healthy food!

No comments: