Friday, December 10, 2010

Lucy's Eye Surgery

What a day! Tyler and I didn't get much sleep last night, we were both pretty worried about how everything was gonna go. We woke up at 6:30am and got to the Rocky Mountain Outpatient Surgery Clinic at about 7:45am. Lucy was admitted and then we waited back in her pre-op room for like an hour. They prepped us and her, they gave her a little cap, and even gave one to her bear too! They were super good with her.

They had lots of toys to keep her entertained while we waited for Dr. Elliot to arrive.

Dr Elliot came and talked to us at like 8:50am and then shortly after that they took her back. we weren't allowed to be in there with her, so we waited out in the waiting room. I slept and Tyler played his computer game. The nurse came and got us at 10am and brought us back to talk to Dr. Elliot. He assured us that she was doing fine and the surgery went great! We were pretty anxious to see Lucy, but we had to wait until she started to wake up from the anesthesia. So about 10:30am the nurse came and got us and we went to her post-op room. When they first gave her to me I was a little scared, her eyes had dried blood all over them. She was pretty out of it. They had just given her some Tylenol for her pain. So she decided to sleep for another hour and 1/2!! We were in no hurry though. I enjoyed just holding my baby in my arms. I don't get to this often :)

They had a free soda and juice machine, and recliners, so we kicked back and waited....

PS Shanna: This is her FAVORITE blanket :)

When she woke up she was pretty much back to her normal Lucy ways. She couldn't talk very loud because during the operation she had a tube down her throat. But she wanted to eat and drink right away, we had no problems with throwing up or nausea at all! (thank goodness!)

These are the best pictures I could get of her eyes, she didn't really want to sit still for me. They look pretty freaky, but Dr says they should look better by the end of the week.

For those that don't know, Lucy's eyes were crossing inwards, so she had to have the inside muscles of her eyes repositioned and relaxed so they would be in the right place. Dr. Elliot told us that the muscles were very tight, so the surgery was definitely the right thing to do. He won't know for another 10-12 weeks whether or not he has to do another surgery, because sometimes you can't tell how much you need to move the muscles. So we are just praying he was inspired and we won't have to go through this again! Thanks to everyone for their prayers and fasting. I truly believe that everything went so smoothly today because of you and our Heavenly Father.


Kayla Conover said...

Glad everything went well. We will keep her in our prays. You guys are amazing!

Jeff and Andrea Ashmore Family said...

Bonnie you are inspiring. I'm glad everything went so well for Lucy.
Your playlist rocks! I listened to it all day and never got sick of it!

The Jensen Family said...

So glad it went well. I totally think surgery days are harder on moms then the kids so congrats for making it through!