Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Kasen's Birth Story

Tyler took the kids out to the store, so while I have a minute I wanted to just type down Kasen's birth story.

Thursday morning I was pretty fed up. After having my membranes stripped on Monday I figured it would just jump start everything and it would happen maybe a day or two after that. But no. Thursday morning my neighbor and I took the kids to walk around the track at the school down the road. I wasn't having any contractions so I was pretty mad. I even carried Jake around one time, and he is a beast! So i came home and things were pretty normal that day. I felt like he was dropping but i wasn't having contractions. Tyler had texted me and told me that NOW i could go into labor at any time because his all day training was over (thursday). So after we got the kids in bed we went for a walk together. We walked for 2 miles! I was in so much pain by the time we got home I figured it had to be tonight! My hips could not take anymore pressure. Well at about 1130 that night we turned the lights out and Tyler went right to sleep. But as I was laying there I started having contractions. Not just braxton hicks. These were uncomfortable. so i timed them. they were 4 minutes apart consistently. So I laid there for 2 hours. After that I woke up Tyler and said lets go to the hospital.
From there things happened pretty quickly. They took me into triage and monitored me for an hour and a half. When i got there I was still only at 3 cm dilated. (which is what I was Monday) So the nurse who checked me, did everything she could to get me going. If i didn't progress they were going to send me home. when they checked me again I was at a 4, but she could stretch me to a 5, so they said I could stay!! I was super happy.
My Doctor was at a scout encampment that was about a 1/2 hour away so he told them not to do anything until he gets there. When he was about 10 minutes away they broke my water. Kasen's head was turned so I was having bad back labor. There was no way I was going to be able to do this without some relief. I told them I didn't want an epidural because it didn't work last time. So the nurse talked me into getting an entrathecal, which is a shot that lasts two hours to block the pain. Then I started worrying that the shot would not last long enough. What if I didn't dilate fast enough. So then they decided to do a mix. An Epi with the entrathecal. So it wasn't the continuous epidural, but there was still a catheter in my spine with the shot, then he added one more tiny dose that will make it last a little longer just in case. Which I didn't really need since He came in an hour and a half. So timeline: 130am head to the hospital, 3am admitted, 455 they broke my water, 647 he was born! Only took 2 pushes. He was so tiny and perfect.

1 comment:

M. Harrison said...

Yay! I am so happy for you guys. He is a cutie. Tell everyone hi for us. Love you guys,
Michelle